BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Figuring out the Puzzle and learning to talk to your doctor

I got my numbers back from my blood test and most I understood.  The ones I didn't understand, I made the decision to ask my Oncologist about so I made an appointment.  Now you have to understand that I was a Marine and a firefighter.  When things hurt or you don't feel up to par....so what...  You have a job to do so get it done! When you have a fighter aircraft to get in the sky or you have a fire or medical call, you have to give 100%.  It really doesn't matter how you feel.  People are counting on you to do the job and do it well. Lives really can count on that and the good marines & firefighters take that seriously.  I have learned that lesson well and mostly live my life that way.  So when I started to have numb burning feet..well I'll just live with it.


The other part of this story is I'm smoldering Myeloma.  Read up on that and all the information says that smoldering is asymptomatic.  I should not have any symptoms at this time so it can't be the myeloma!  Well; the hot feet got to the point that I couldn't wear normal shoes.  Jenni took me to buy sandals.  I don't really like sandals.  They are never the go to foot wear for me.  Last Saturday was cold and a bit rainy.  My grand daughter had a soccer game.  I wore my sandals but by the time I got to the field I had to take them off.  My feet were on FIRE, wearing sandals!  Less than 50 degrees and here I am with a coat and waving my bare feet in the air to cool them off.  I must have looked crazy!  I made the decision to speak to the doctor about them.

Yesterday was my appointment.  I was a little embarrassed to even bring it up.  I told him my sad story and he very quickly said "Myeloma induced peripheral neuropathy"! I said "but I'm only smoldering and I shouldn't have symptoms".  He smiled and said it not that simple. Wow, what a shock that this cancer isn't simple.  We as MM patients find that out fast. He gave me a prescription.

I got the prescription and took one about 6:30 last night.  Within a hour I wasn't feeling well at all. I was a little dizzy, a little sour in the stomach and sleepy.  I made it until 9:30.  I went to bed with feet on fire and sick.  I was really upset thinking that these pills were not going to work.  Next thing I know it is 5:30 in the morning.  My feet felt like feet, my hands felt like hands.  My arms hadn't gone asleep and my legs didn't ache.  I felt rested and ready to hit the day.  Now my wife is quietly sleeping and I wanted to wake her up and scream about how good I felt.  No, I didn't do that, but I wanted too!  So I waited until the alarm went off and she had her shower.  I started to tell her how I felt.  She summed it up better than I can so this is what she said, "You're acting like scrooge on Christmas morning".  I was, I wanted to go outside and tell everyone just how good it feels to be back to myself.  Can I do a handstand now????   The pharmacist said it could take up to 7 days for my system to get use to the medication.  A small price to pay to feel this good.

On my numbers... most were up but not so much as to be a concern yet.  Renal function numbers are out of normal, but not enough to worry about.  Cancer numbers are up but going up slowly.

I guess I need to learn to not be so Marine about this stuff in the future.  Myeloma is a complex puzzle that each of us needs to put together with the help of our doctors. What happens to you may not happen to me and visa-versa...  My myeloma has a symptom and it can be fixed, if I just let my doctor know.  Now comes the hard part.  To learn what is important and what is just normal.  It's complex but I think with my wife and doctor I'll find the balance.

The body is sick, but thanks to Jesus the soul is alive and well...

No comments:

Post a Comment