BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A learning experience...

I made my last blog and then modified it and sent it off to some TV, News Paper and that type of places. I thought it was a different take on all this Health care stuff. I got a call from my local TV station asking me to do an interview on the subject...

I agreed and I made a promise to myself that I would just keep to the facts! No opinions, positive or negative, on the pros or cons of health care. Just my concerns about what has happened to me concerning government health care, my being turn down and what that holds for my future.

I knew there was a risk doing this. I have heard horror stories about people doing interviews that came out 180 degrees different than what they expected. I told myself that if I kept to the truth, didn't overstate what has happened and kept it positive, I should be OK... I was WRONG!!!!!

A very nice reporter came to my house. She asked me questions for about 1/2 hour. I explained what I went through and the outcome. I also explained Jenni's and our discussion about our finances and further treatment options. I also made the point that I was basing all this on my situation as it stands right now. We then went into the video part of the interview. She asked me basically the same questions and I gave the same answers. We then went around the house doing "set up shots". Later in the day she told me the interview would be on at 6:30pm.

I watched it and was shocked & horrified ! I was embarrassed and I really just wanted to crawl in a hole! It was NOTHING about why I agreed to do the interview! I came across as a whining, feel sorry for me person who is just waiting for government health care to solve my problems! They did that by basically running the "set up shots" and doing voice overs!

I emailed all my friends and family and apologized for what they saw and I emailed the reporter with my disappointment. The good news is that she agreed to pull my story from airing again. It could have aired at 11:00pm and on the morning show. I have my DVR set to record those times so we will see if she was being truthful with me.

I guess this is a lesson learned. Don't trust the media to report an honest story! I will never look at stories in the news in the same light again. It is really true, when you give an interview you don't know how it will be spun.

I think it is really sad that America has come to this point. That nobody can question the political correctness of a government program. Even if to just ask some simple questions. The story is killed, the experience is behind me and I'll keep smiling and supporting all my great new MM friends...

The body is sick, but thanks to Jesus the soul is alive and well...

1 comment:

  1. To be honest, you didn't look bad at all for the 6:30... I liked it. I hope that helps from a different perspective. I think you did good, and I thought you looked good.

    I probably judge myself a bunch when I got the chance to be interviewed for TV.

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete