BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 22, 2010

Heath Care Reform

Jenni and I are scared.

They did it. They passed the health bill. So now what? I'm an unemployed prior Marine who has cancer and was flat turned down for VA Benefits (government health care). Now they have made it so my personal health care benefit premiums will sky rocket to the unaffordable level.

My assets and savings can only go so far. I don't see myself using them all up to fight this cancer and leaving Jenni without any reserve for her senior years. She asked me this morning "what can I do to help you now?" I had to tell her I didn't know. Her eyes teared up and so did mine. How can you tell a wife that we just have no options left.

One thing I have learned is this is an expensive cancer to fight. My savings would be gone in a matter of weeks/months when I start needing treatment. We would have to use it all, sell the house etc. I just can't/won't do that to Jenni! I have loved and cared for her too long! It cost me about now $3500.00 per year just to keep an eye on my cancer. That doesn't include any treatment. It can cost over $8000.00 per month for drug treatment, not including hospital or clinic costs!

They say that some Americans can expect Government benefits is 4 or 5 years..but only some of us... I've already been turned down for VA. They were very nice, they nicely showed me the door. Jenni will have to quit her job and we will have to sell our home to even come close to getting the VA to provide benefits. So what will we do until the new benefits kick in?

I will continue to do the things I've been doing. I will look for employment, I'll take my daily pills, eat right and exercise, and yes...pray..

I guess the only thing I can do now is tell my story to as many people as will listen until next November and maybe get a representative who will really care about his/her constituents.

This is also the last political post I will put in my blog. I understand that there are other M/M patients out there with other points of view. I hope this Health bill works out for them better than it will for Jenni and I. I don't want to make my blog uncomfortable for them to read. I pray for all of them daily to beat this cancer.

Jesus never promised us a long life here on earth. He only promised that he would be there for us when we need him. Like my pastor said "Pit happens"... I'm just glad that Jesus is here with us in this pit. I'll be fine... Now back to smiling and getting the best out of the life I have left!!!

What a sad day for America. :-(

The body is sick, but thanks to Jesus the soul is alive and well...

2 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone really understands what is going to happen out of national health care. Lots of ideas and suggestions, we'll have to see what happens. -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so outrageous that a guy like you who has served his country can't even get benefits. Even before this bill--shame on the VA. (I've expressed that before to you.) But now this...honestly, Steve, you are probably going to come in the category of Obama's remark, "grandma's going to have to just take a pill" in terms of treatment. I'm guessing that now the govt will decide who to treat and who is just too costly or too old or too...whatever. Makes me mad. Sounds kind of like "unnatural selection" to me.

    However, that said, God numbers your days and He is in charge. Only he knows the course of this disease. My prayer is that you will die of old age at the ripe old age of 95 and not have to get to the next level of your disease.

    But still....grrrrrrrr

    My heart just hurts for what you and Jenni are going through right now.

    ReplyDelete