BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, December 9, 2011

Shingles !!!

All was well and I was doing great. The minor problems that I have really don't hurt so I'm good with them. In fact, my Dr. and Oncologist always knew my response when asked how I was doing. It was always "Great, and what I do have doesn't hurt so I'm good". Well I really can't say that now.

It all started this last Tuesday at the gym. I use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap sending unit. I noticed that the skin under my strap really itched and hurt. My thought at the time was I needed a good cleaning of the strap. The next morning I got up and my skin continued to hurt. Wednesday afternoon my skin hurt more and I noticed a rash starting. I was still thinking that it was because of the dirty HRM strap. About an hour before bed on Wednesday I started having right lung pain. I took some Ibuprofen but it didn't even touch the pain. To get some sleep I took some codeine. I also noticed my rash was growing and starting to really bother me more. Thursday morning I got up and noticed my rash was growing all along my chest back to my spine in a mostly straight line. The codeine seemed to keep the lung pain under control and I didn't have a fever or a cough so I was just going to Marine up and wait until my Dr. visit the next Tuesday.

Well, a blog friend of mine, Big EZ, also has MM and blogged the fact that he had shingles. The more I read the more I kept saying to myself... Yes - I have that, Yes - I have that, etc.. So I emailed him and he encouraged me to call my Dr. right away and get in. I did that and his nurse said I would be in the office that evening. By the time I got there my chest hurt so much that I could barely take a breath. My Dr. looked for about 2 seconds and agreed it was shingles... Now with an anti-viral and a big bottle of codeine I'm on my way to getting better. The rash is still in the growing phase but my pain is under control. I went ahead and took a sick day from work so that will give me 3 whole days to get back on my feet.

A BIG thank you goes out to The BIG EZ.. for his help and support. Blog friends can get a great source of knowledge and support and I'm truly thankful for all my blog friends. The next 3 weeks won't be much fun but all in all I'm doing great. A small set back but it doesn't really change the larger picture.

The body is sick, but thanks to Jesus the soul is alive and well...

3 comments:

  1. Steven we are so sorry you have shingles, but thankful you went ahead and got treatment when you did. Thank goodness for pain meds and Famvir! Now they just have to run their course. You are so right when you say fellow MM bloggers are a great resource and support group. Makes it feel like we are a team, battling this together. We appreciate your prayers for EZ, and please know we are praying for you as well. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven,
    Thanks for the kind words, but the real good news that you had the virus diagnosed within the first few days and got on the anti-viral. The meds work much better if the get started early and they do a good job of preventing long term nerve damage.
    You are so correct about fellow bloggers supporting each other. We can be a army of encouragement, information and sounding boards for each other as we battle this myeloma foe.
    We will be praying for you over the next three weeks and appreciate your prayers for us. We should always remember that the Great Physician is in control. Praise Him.
    EZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's not so good, but I really hope that you are feeling better now. And also I want to wish you a very good Christmas, Steven. I hope it brings you much joy, and happy times with those you love.

    ReplyDelete