BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Things are getting STRANGE...

I lost my local oncologist in May. He had just had it with California requirements and trying to make ends meet with low medical payments. He went to the VA in Reno, so all he has to do now is be an oncologist. That left me looking for a new oncologist here in Redding. I finally got a new one in August. When I saw her I felt great, I had a few questions but, all in all, a no problems first meeting.

During the work up they measured me. I have been 5'8" since I graduated high school but they measured my height and I was 5'7". During the meeting she quizzed me about that and I said that I felt great and anyway I was 53... maybe I was shrinking... She looked at me and said "you are so having a bone scan". I didn't think anything more about it.

Well, just a few weeks later I got a call out of the blue from my Transplant Oncologist at UCSF and he wants to see me soon. I was shocked but made the appointment. Today I get a call from my local oncologist's nurse telling me to expect the call. When I told her that I had already spoke to UCSF she said that
"he wants to direct your treatment from here on out"!!! What does that mean? She just said that they would work closely with them and not to worry. What treatment?
I do my own treatment, exercise, weight control and attitude but I have no formal treatment. I guess I will have to wait until my visit to UCSF to get this sorted out. As well as I feel and as boring as my first oncologist visit was... the height thing was the ONLY thing that I came up with...

I hope I'm worried about nothing... That will be my mind set until I have something real to worry about... Now ... Lets plan my next bike ride!

The body is sick, but thanks to Jesus the soul is alive and well...

3 comments:

  1. When is the next appointment? All of that is strange to say the least, and we will certainly hope and pray that the 1" loss in height is your only worry! So glad you feel well and I say...plan that next bike ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my UCSF on November 1st. I'm expecting some testing ordered before then. At least I hope there is... My M spike, my IGG's etc. I think those would be good for him to see. But.. trying to stop worrying and take it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is normal to lose a bit of height when you get older. Gravity takes its toll. My husband never had much bone involvement and has been stable, with mostly non-existant markers, for 3+ years and the last time we measured him, he was an inch shorter than he used to be and he's only 47. I chalk it up to age and job-related disc degeneration. I wonder if she does not feel experienced enough in MM to be your only doctor. I will also say that over the years, I have found that women doctors do more testing and tend to leave NOTHING to chance. I'm sure it's nothing.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete