BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 17, 2010

It's done

The Giant's 5k is done. We spent the weekend in San Francisco and we all finished the run/walk. We had 3 walkers, Jenni (my wife), Jan (my niece), and me. A family friend Crystal ran the 5k. I hurt my left calf many years ago and it stops me from doing longer runs. That isn't a problem as I really love riding my bike a lot more.

Although we had a great time with the Giants run I'm not thrilled with San Francisco. I'm a country boy and a lot of the stuff in the city I just don't get. The bad smells, the noise, and the strange people. I also don't get why they tax you for everything. It was $26.00 per night for hotel tax alone! There is a health tax on food above and beyond the normal state taxes. Parking cost $45.00 per night and even that is taxed! I told Jenni we won't be spending any more time in San Francisco. When I go to UCSF we will stay out of the city and drive in.

It also isn't kid friendly. We had strollers and walked back and forth between the hotel and Giants baseball park. Every time we took our life and the lives of our grand children in our own hands! Every time we walked with the strollers we had people turn their car in front of us while we had the right of way. I guess the 5 to 10 seconds they saved waiting for us to cross made a big difference in their life! It was crazy....

It is also not kid friendly as you don't know what your going to see. We are walking back to the hotel from lunch and a group of naked men were riding their bikes down the street! Yes, you read that right...NAKED MEN! In Redding they would get arrested and would be thrown in jail for public nudity. Nobody seemed to care in San Francisco. Now, I should have expected that as in the application for the run there was a caution not to do it naked. I have done a lot of formal bike rides locally and I have never been cautioned to not ride naked! Luckily we were able to distract most of the kids but one of our young girls make the comment "I saw his bottom"! Not good; as all the kids were under 7!

In the future I'll keep these activities in smaller towns in my area. At least I can avoid most of the crazy stuff.

We raised $590.00. Not a lot but I guess it all helps.

The body is sick, but thanks to Jesus the soul is alive and well...

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the walk. 590.00 is a great deal of money Steven and it is there because of you, Jenni, and Jan. I guess SF is like another planet to a country boy. My reaction to taxes and what you saw would be similar to your own reaction. But Congratulations again and glad the health is good.

    Rebecca Weber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "country boy" reaction to San Francisco. It reminds me of what my wife often says of me, "you can take the boy out of North Dakota but you can't take North Dakota out of the boy." Even though I'm now a city dweller I firmly believe country folk are the bedrock of this country. I love your attitude Steven. Keep up all the good things you are doing.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can.' (Sydney Smith)

    I love that quote - $590 sounds good to me - it all adds up.

    ReplyDelete