BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 26, 2010

Strange Blessings from cancer....

Who would ever say that cancer can have blessing associated with it.  That would be crazy, right? However; it is my experience that cancer, as bad as it is, does come with some blessings.  I have lived my life trying to always look for something to be happy about in all situations.  I think that a positive attitude carries you further down the line than a negative one.  That being said, this has caught me by surprise. It crept up on me...without me realizing it was there.

I was talking to my pastor last night after church.  I was telling him about the people I'm met and the things I have going on, because of the diagnoses of cancer.  It got me thinking more about what I was really saying to him, and myself.  Has God really used this cancer to change my life for the better?  I have to say a definite YES!

Before I started this walk I did things in the community with my hands.  I worked on church bathrooms, I mowed lawns, painted.  I was a volunteer fireman for 25+ years.  I gave platelets to the local blood bank since I was in my early 20's.  All things I could do without giving of my heart and soul.  At that point in my life I think that is what God needed me to do.  Somethings I think strong hands are just what is needed.

About 5 or so years ago I went on a very large forest fire and at the end of it, I had the realization that it was a younger mans game.  So the fire fighting thing came to an end.  During the last few years I have noticed that the requests for these strong hands has come less and less. I've noticed the younger men being asked and I've had to jump in and say, me to!  Then comes the cancer and the platelet donations have to stop. I realized a season of my life was slowing coming to an end.  Now what!

I started to research the cancer to really find out what it was all about.  I started to find blogs and I started to read them. 

As I read the blogs, I started caring about the people on the other side of the computer! Not just as bloggers but as people.  I was worried about their daily struggles with treatment, side effects and daily living with MM.  I started to support them, encourage them, just small words to let them know I was here and I cared and was praying for them, daily!  Now I have friends all around the world!  People I care about, yes, really care about.  I've never met a one of them in person but it doesn't seem to matter.  It is a joy to read and pray for them each and every day.  What really caught me by surprise was that it started to be a blessing, to me, to do that!  To make a little difference in somebody's life.

Then came the shocker for me.  I follow a blog from a person named Dan.  Now Dan is going through his 3rd bone marrow transplant.  This time with cells from his brother.  I was reading and commenting at every blog post he made.  I would worry and pray for him as his transplant got closer and closer.  One day he blogged about something his daughter had said.  Dan I hope you don't mind me coping this from your blog but this is what it said, " Julia called me the other night, "dad, who is Steve Ritter? How do you know him?" Well, I know him only by his blog. "Well, he certainly is a nice man," she responded. Yes, all of you who continue to support us are very nice, indeed. Thank you.".  WOW... Dan & his daughter noticed what I said!  For the next two days I had a smile half a mile wide.  It really is something I can do...Support and pray.  It was and is still a blessing that Dan and Julia gave me and for that I will always be thankful.

In my research I found out that this cancer was rare and I only expected to find a few, if anyone, in my area who had it!  Well I was wrong.  There was a article in the paper from a wonderful woman who had it and she was starting a support group.  I didn't go for awhile, I didn't need a support group right now!  Next was a project I started.  I'm doing a fund raising walk/run for MM research through the MMRF.  I thought to myself "the local MM support group was a good place to take fliers to drum up more help with that!"  So Jenni and I went to the group with the fliers.  I had a great time.  I understood where they were coming from.  I got to tell my story and enjoyed listening to their stories.  There were a lot more patients and care givers than I thought there would be in our small area!  I came home and started to think, it is always dangerous when I start thinking!  My thought was "it was nice to be there on Saturday once a month but what if somebody needed some support during the rest of the month?"  I emailed the lady who started the group with the idea of starting a web page for the group.  To make a vehicle for them to get support from the group between group meetings. What a positive response I got back.  She was hoping and praying that somebody could do a web page for them!  I got busy.. The page is ready to go this week and I'm real excited to see it launch!

So, it is kind of crazy to say that there are blessings in having cancer but in a strange way it is true.  It has opened a whole new season of my life. I feel good physically so I have the ability to go out there and really make a difference in myeloma patients lives.  I'm know I'm just starting down this path but I also know wherever it takes me the blessings will be mine. God has walked me into a new season of my life. One that allows me to still use my hands but also my heart and soul. He really does know what he is doing!

Last I would like to thank all the patients and care givers that I have come to care about, Karyn, Nick, Pat, Ruth & FL in Scotland, Susie in the UK, Denise (Tim's wife), Katy here in Anderson Ca., and finally all the other people I've come to know in the short 6 months since I've started down the MM path.  Knowing you is a blessing to me and I pray each and every day that your fight, or your support of a love one fighting, will be successful and that good health and happiness comes your way. I know that it has come my way!  I'm also confident there will be more good people to get to know down the road!


The body is sick, but thanks to Jesus the soul is alive and well... 

2 comments:

  1. Great post Steven! This all comes back to the ol' "tis more blessed to give than to receive."
    I happen to think that the giver gets just as much out of it as the person on the receiving end. Sometimes more.
    There's no doubt that knowing there are folks who understand you because they walk the same path and give a hoot about what is going on in your life is a POWERFUL thing. Our lives have all changed dramatically and though many may sympathize, they can't know just how very hard this is unless they're in a similar boat. This blogging thing and the folks I've met on it have become my "therapy." An extended family of sorts. Like you, I care, worry, and pray for them. Kudos to you for kicking your support group up a notch. That's a great idea.I think getting involved is definitely a great way to cope with the hand we're dealt and it has helped keep me sane(well kinda) since this journey began for us.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven,
    First of all, Julia and I are flattered that you would post our conversation on your blog. You are a friend, and even though we haven't met, I feel like I know you. Your latest musings about the blessings of cancer are right on the mark. Both Susan and I have said many times, we are better people because of cancer. I know that I am more patient, understanding, and compassionate because of this path we are on. I said early on in my diagnosis that I felt like my heart opened and the whole world walked in. The support we have received from family, friends, and people like you have carried us through. I understand how important a note, a phone call, a short email can be to someone who is struggling or in pain. It seems you too have had your heart opened even more. Thanks for being there for us and for others. I wish you the best.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete